Exploring Loss Through Creativity: Art Therapy Group for Adolescents who have Lost a Friend to Suicide
Art Therapists: Vanya Hanson
Group: Min/Max: 6 Participants
Sessions: 90 mins each, once a week (4:30 – 6:00 pm) for a total of 8 weeks. Starting on Wed, Sept. 23 and ending on Wed, November 25. Off on Oct. 28 and Nov. 11.
Cost: $575 (Includes 8- 90 min group art therapy sessions and all art materials are provided)
This is an eight-week art therapy group for adolescents (15-17) who have lost a friend to suicide. This is a supportive, grief group to explore loss through creative expression in the presence of peers. Participants of this group will be given the opportunity to explore their experience and feelings through artistic expression through a weekly theme/art project or art medium each week. Art therapy groups allow individuals to communicate difficult thoughts and feelings visually in a supportive environment among other individuals seeking support. The overall aim of this group is to explore personal loss experiences and decrease the feelings of isolation through group support, communicating thoughts and feelings through visual expression and introduce new coping strategies. No artistic experience is needed.
(More details below)
***If you’re interested in attending this group, please email [email protected] to receive an intake form before registering to ensure this group will meet your needs!****
- Explore individual loss experiences through creative expression.
- Decrease the feelings of isolation through the participation of creating, sharing and engaging in visual expression and verbal discussion in the presence of peers.
- Increasing connection with peers who’ve experienced similar experiences.
- Learning new coping mechanisms for decrease anxiety and depressive symptoms.
- Opening Ritual (Check-in)
- Theme of the Week
- Creation Time
- Reflection & Discussion
- Coping Strategies
- Closing Ritual (Check-out)
- Week 1: “Getting to Know Each other”
- Week 2: “Connection”
- Week 3: “Loss”
- Week 4: “Memory Box”
- Week 5: “Draw a Bridge”
- Week 6: “Emotions: Anger, Frustration and Depression”
- Week 7: “Protective Factors”
- Week 8: “Self-Care Coping Box”